Simvastatin is in a group of drugs called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, or “statins”. It reduces levels of “bad” cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein, or LDL) and triglycerides in the blood, while increasing levels of “good” cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein, or HDL). Simvastatin is used to lower cholesterol and triglycerides (types of fat) in the blood.
Simvastatin is also used to reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack, and other heart complications in people with diabetes , coronary heart disease, or other risk factors. Simvastatin is used in adults and children at least 10 years of age.
In rare cases, simvastatin can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you also have a fever, unusual tiredness, and dark-colored urine. Never take Simvastatin in larger amounts or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow your doctor’s dosage instructions very carefully. Taking too much of this medication can cause serious or life-threatening side effects.
- Anvisa releases fat-sucking pill for people over 30 years old
- Exclusive: Teacher reveals how she eliminated cellulite, sagging and wrinkles…
- Experts: Suffering from hair loss? put an end to it today…
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have ever had liver or kidney disease, diabetes , or a thyroid disorder, if you are of Chinese descent, or if you drink more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day. Pills can harm an unborn baby or cause birth defects. Do not use if you are pregnant. Grapefruit and grapefruit juice can interact with Simvastatin and lead to potentially dangerous effects.
Do not consume grapefruit products while taking this medication. Some medications can cause unwanted or dangerous effects when used with Simvastatin . Your doctor may need to change your treatment plan if you use certain antibiotics or antifungal medications, hepatitis C medications, heart medications, or medications to treat HIV/AIDS.
Before taking this medicine:
You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to simvastatin , if you are pregnant or breast-feeding or if you have active liver disease . The following medicines may increase the risk of serious muscle problems if taken with Simvastatin . These medicines should not be used while taking this medicine:
- um antibiic – clarithromycin, erythromycin, telithromycin;
- antifungal medication – itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole;
- hepatitis C medications – boceprevir, telaprevir;
- Medicamento para o VIH/SIDA – atazanavir, cobicistate (Stribild, Tybost), darunavir, fosamprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, tipranavir.
Simvastatin can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. This condition may be more likely to occur in older adults and in people with kidney disease or poorly controlled hypothyroidism ( underactive thyroid ).
How should I take simvastatin?
Take Simvastatin exactly as prescribed. Follow all instructions on your prescription label. Never take this medication in larger amounts or for longer than prescribed. Taking too much of this medication can cause serious or life-threatening side effects. Simvastatin is usually taken at bedtime or with dinner. If you take simvastatin more than once a day, take it with meals. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to ensure you get the best results.
While using Simvastatin , you may need frequent blood tests at your doctor’s office. You may need to take Simvastatin long-term to treat high cholesterol . You may need to stop using this medication for a short time if you have surgery or a medical emergency. Do not stop taking this medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
- What Happens if I Miss a Dose? Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
- What Happens If I Overdose? Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Helpline at 1-800-222-1222.
- What should I avoid while taking simvastatin? Grapefruit and grapefruit juice can interact with Simvastatin and lead to unwanted side effects. Avoid using grapefruit products while taking this medication.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Simvastatin : hives; breathing difficulty; swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat . In rare cases, simvastatin can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you also have a fever , unusual tiredness, and dark-colored urine. Also call your doctor right away if you have:
- Signs of a kidney problem: little or no urination; painful or difficult urination; swelling in the feet or ankles; feeling tired or short of breath; or
- Liver problems: nausea, stomach pain , itching, feeling tired, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Common side effects of simvastatin can include:
- constipation , nausea, stomach pain ;
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat .
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You can report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What Other Drugs Will Affect Simvastatin?
Many drugs can interact with Simvastatin . Not all possible interactions are listed here. Tell your doctor about all your medications and any you start or stop using during treatment, especially:
This list is not complete and many other drugs can interact with Simvastatin . This includes prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins and herbal products. Give a list of all your medications to any healthcare provider who treats you.
- Anvisa releases slimming pill that sucks more than 8 kg of deep fat per month
- Eliminate Cellulite DEFINITELY using this 2x a day…
- Experts: This product to lose weight and eliminate belly fat fast and without the accordion effect!
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medicine only for the indication prescribed. Always consult your physician to ensure that the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.