Top 10 Causes of High Cholesterol!

The Main Causes of High Cholesterol  that we should not ignore. In addition,  cholesterol is a type of fat found in our body that is important for its normal functioning. Cholesterol is the structural component of cell membranes in our body and is present in the heart , brain , liver , intestines, muscles, nerves and skin.

Our body uses cholesterol to produce certain hormones such as Vitamin D , testosterone , estrogen , cortisol and bile acids that help in the digestion of fats. Approximately 70% of cholesterol is produced by our own body, in the liver , while the other 30% comes from the diet. So, check out  Top 10 Causes of High Cholesterol.

Types of Cholesterol: Because it is a fatty substance, cholesterol does not dissolve in the blood. Therefore, to be transported through the bloodstream and reach peripheral tissues, cholesterol needs a carrier. This function is carried out by lipoproteins that are produced in the liver:

  • HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) also known as “ good cholesterol ”
  • LDL (Low-density lipoprotein) also known as “ bad cholesterol or bad cholesterol ”
  • VLDL (Very low-density lipoprotein) also known as the “carrier” of
    LDL, HDL, and triglycerides

The increase in cholesterol levels is called dyslipidemia. For a long time, doctors evaluated the degree of dyslipidemia through the values ​​of total cholesterol , which is nothing more than the sum of blood levels of HDL, LDL, VLDL. However, there are bad cholesterol and good cholesterol , which makes their joint assessment inefficient.

Symptoms of High Cholesterol: High cholesterol causes no symptoms. Therefore high cholesterol does not cause tiredness, headache , shortness of breath, chest pain, palpitation, prostration or any other symptom. High cholesterol is a silent disease. The only way to know your cholesterol levels is through a blood test.

Even when the patient has extremely high values, he will not have symptoms. Symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitation may be associated with a disease caused by increased cholesterol levels with agnina pectoris or even acute myocardial infarction.

Gender and Age:  Being a menopausal woman increases your risk of high cholesterol . The female hormone while produced offers a protective effect on HDL cholesterol . For this reason, from puberty through menopause , women generally have higher levels of“good” HDL cholesterol and lower levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol than men. After menopause , women tend to have higher LDL levels than men, increasing the chances of coronary heart disease.

Family History:  Having a family history of high cholesterol is also one of the Major Causes of Cholesterol . If high cholesterol is due to inherited genes, a person can be born with high levels of LDL cholesterol and should have medical follow-up from childhood.

Obesity :  A body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more puts a person at greater risk for high cholesterol.

Physical Inactivity:  Not exercising increases the risk of high LDL cholesterol and is one of the Major Causes of Cholesterol .

Smoking:  Smoking damages the arterial walls making them more susceptible to the accumulation of LDL cholesterol. Smoking can also lower HDL cholesterol.

Diabetes:  People with diabetes mellitus are more likely to have low levels of “good” HDL cholesterol and high levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol. Just like smoking, high blood sugar can damage arterial walls.

Diet:  A diet high in saturated fat, trans fat and sugar can raise “bad” LDL and triglyceride levels so it is one of the  Main Causes of Cholesterol.

A diet rich in unsaturated fats and low in saturated fats is suitable for everyone, regardless of their cholesterol level . But if you have dyslipidemia, following this diet is even more important.

Other Causes of High Cholesterol:

  • hypothyroidism;
  • Hyperthyroidism;
  • Renal insufficiency;
  • porphyria;
  • Use of anabolic steroids;
  • Cirrhosis.

Consequences of High Cholesterol:  The main consequence of high cholesterol is a considerable increase in the risk of cardiovascular diseases, such as:

Treatment for High Cholesterol:  Treatment for high cholesterol involves dietary changes, regular physical activity, and the use of cholesterol -lowering medications such as Simvastatin and Atorvastatin.

In the diet to lower cholesterol, preference should be given to the consumption of fruits, vegetables and whole grains, as they are foods rich in fiber, which help to reduce the absorption of fat in the intestine. In addition, consumption of red meat, bacon, sausage, butter, margarine, fried foods, sweets and alcoholic beverages should be avoided.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *